Max von Laue, X-ray Interference Apparatus (1912)
Max von Laue’s (1879-1960) apparatus for measuring X-ray interference made it possible for scientists to determine, empirically, whether X-rays were tiny particles or waves. The apparatus featured apertures arranged in a way that deflected the X-rays. The process was then captured on a photographic plate. The results confirmed Laue’s theories and proved that X-rays are electromagnetic waves.
Source: Deutsches Museum, Munich, Archive, Image number R 0964-11
© Deutsches Museum, Munich