Catholic Girls’ School, Bavaria (c. 1908-10)
In 1895, a school for girls [höhere Töchterschule] opened in the town of Traunstein-Sparz, located southeast of Munich on the Austrian border. In 1906, it added a preschool, and by 1913 it had evolved into girls' school with six grade levels. Operated by nuns from the well-regarded Mary Ward Institute – Sisters of Loreto [Institut der Englischen Fräulein] and based on Jesuit spiritual and intellectual traditions, the school aimed to train women not for religious orders but rather for participation in public life. The school thus aligned with the general trend in girls' education in the Wilhelmine period. At the time, schools educated girls with an eye toward growing opportunities in teaching, the postal service, department stores, and other areas of white- and pink-collar work.
Source: Reproduction of postcard from the Erziehungsinstitut Sparz at pictura paedagogica online, http://www.bbf.dipf.de/cgi-opac/bil.pl?t_direct=x&f_IDN=b0089054hjld